Re: Lunar element's relation to others, especially Storm

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_q6NzF1m9qH8mdx0z-P9BjAWWLPckLgq2ubyPmDAxl-0S1Rxx7veQO6sjvtYn1b8vpiFw>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 06:21:10 -0000

> 2008/11/7 valkoharja <rintasaa_at_...>
> > Now I wonder if the situation is such that the conflict between Lunar
> > and Air really is an unresolved case of elemental dominance. Maybe the
> > circle of five Gloranthan elements should really be a cicle o five,
> > and the fight is still going on whether Moon or Air is going to be
> > superior to each other. Thinking about it, it would seem logical that
> > Lunar power would end up dominant over water (tides and all that), but
> > as this is Glorantha it seems the jury is still out.
> >
> > What do you guys think? Any ideas are appreciated,

OK, the status of the Moon Rune is always problematic and will likely be different from background book to background book. I am not going to give you absolute answers, since the entire categorization system is a model (a good model, developed by the God Learners and refined by other cultures, but not 100% accurate in all situations).

However, most Gloranthan philosophers recognize the Moon Rune as a Condition Rune, not an Elemental Rune. There is certainly a lot of evidence to support that. Some (but not all) Lunar philosophers recognize the Moon Run as an Elemental Rune, or an Elemental Rune-in-Transition. Others hold that it is trancending Condition Rune.

> I do tend personally to like Elemental Philosophy of Herephrones
> (sp?/serf's parma) which proposes a sixth elemental position which, in
> the table of correspondences (aside: I get a major flashback to the
> Magician Tarot stuff from Nephilim when I look at this!) in MoLaD,
> seems to be suggestive of a Moon element.

Hepherones Philosophy is technique and not widely acknowledged. It may not be accurate outside of its own assumptions, and they are plenty of cults that not only deny it, but have the magic to prove it.

Jeff