Re: An Observation About Yinkin

From: donald_at_NEUuulvfHebdlmDckawJo1tqNd3Bx9A5Tfpsn4l7AgvOjUZaKdgkSsc01InDLgXTEF7rA
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 20:23:40 GMT

In message <b22cfc220811120851l2fce818fu7e58b8d2ff6da08a_at_So8ZbgvbyUUDpDGxDCAu7khoS0aFsxLOfKgRmdyxXCGRa3aivMEG5mVqzryMpxUkiAmLtg6LtgSPI9GNXPe_agQ0IxdUsP7eUqSV130JpPAn9LVafbQPyDAuUCmokrWKwduEIw.yahoo.invalid> "Todd Gardiner" writes:

>But Jeff's comments suggest that a hunter won't be using clearly
>defined lands for hunting. Thus making visits to other clans at
>the end of a day of hunting more common.
>In fact, following prey for a few miles, especially after you have
>wounded it with your bow, is common in hunting. It seems to me that
>visiting hunters caught away from their tula following a long day's
>hunt would not be uncommon. So long as the hunter avoids visits to
>the areas of feuding clans, he/she might even be welcome for news
>that they bring.

I'm sure there are many areas where clans share hunting rights but there'll be an agreement between them to do so. You could have an agreement where one clan is permitted to hunt on another's pasture. I don't see many places within easy reach of a stead which aren't claimed by one clan or another. Hunting lands are a resource for feeding the clan which makes them valuable. The exact borders may be undefined and there may be no boundry markers but the clan warband will still ride out to check strangers encroaching on them.

Sartar is going to be much more like early medieval Europe where all land is owned by someone than 18th C. North America.

>And, who would you rather play host to? An friendly and flirtatious
>tomcat or a gruff and taciturn bear?

Why would an Odalyan bother with another clan's stead? They don't return to their own clan that often.

And however tolerent of sexual experimentation the Orlanthi are you'll still get parents warning their daughters not to having anything to do with those irresponsible Yinkini.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/