Re: An Observation About Yinkin

From: donald_at_1Fpwq6aSTyl4VrEp2ZEYoYMqCnus4UIhQTd2TIVg70eJUC-_H5rTXS12wfdos5_DrQ0oa
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 12:46:57 GMT

In message <gfh13s+ip72_at_eGroups.com> "valkoharja" writes:

>> And however tolerent of sexual experimentation the Orlanthi are
>> you'll still get parents warning their daughters not to having
>> anything to do with those irresponsible Yinkini.
>
>You have the stereotype on it's head there Donald. It's the young men
>who are irresponsible and emotional. A young Ernaldan lass is much
>more level headed, and will know what she is doing when playing
>bedmates with a male yinkini. A young man on the other hand, falling
>for a yinkini lass (or lad, there's always that) may well fall head
>over heels in love, and cause all kinds of distress.
>
>Let go of your modern gender stereotypes, and things are a lot more
>interesting ;)

Actually I was thinking more of parents trying to protect their children from making mistakes which is may well be an instinct rather than a cultural practice.

You're correct that such warnings are given to both sons and daughters although usually expressed in sexist terms. I'm old enough to remember when young men were warned of the dangers of getting involved with 'loose women'.

I'd suggest the warning to Ernaldan girls would be on the lines of "You'll never get a Yinkini to grow up". Orlanthi boys would get something like "Who's going to feed and clothe you both?"

Of course some youngsters will take absolutely no notice of these warnings.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/