Re: The Unholy Trio: Rephrasing the Question

From: donald_at_iG2t49iDR2apppvofWy-rqqDPlJAwZxMFOnIzGmIzQn0X0lzaaIjBzPZkptzyymYTDw_K
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 02:21:50 GMT

In message <giron5+g1mo_at_eGroups.com> "pentallion" writes:

>> If you are looking for heroic actions similar to human myths, I
>>don't think they have any. The Heortlings survived because of what
>>Heort did. The broos survived because they had conquered the world
>>and all but destroyed it.
>
>Conquering the world and all but destroying it isn't "heroic"?
>Sounds like they must have had some pretty badass heroes to
>accomplish such a feat in the face of the likes of Orlanth, etc.
>Hardly unheroic.

I think the "heroic" force was chaos itself. The broo and other chaotic creatures were just tools. Which would make your God Learner another tool of chaos.

>But this is essential to the plot. The God Learner in my story is
>the missing element for why no Chaoticist has brought about the end
>of the world before now. As one poster here pointed out, the
>Chaotics don't keep that kind of information of what their Gods did
>during the previous age. But a God Learner who had explored the God
>Plane thoroughly would know things that even the broos had
>forgotten.

How many lifetimes has he been doing this for? Maybe in your Glorantha a single human can cope with all the myths of several entire cultures including contradictory variations but not in mine. According to books like Thunder Rebels merely understanding a single great god is enough to prevent an individual from relating to the material world. I don't believe the God Learners as a group managed to investigate all the Gloranthan myths and even before then they were combining similar myths together which indicates they didn't really understand them.

>Not a problem. I wasn't thinking of asking for approval to publish
>adventures about being the bad guys. It's just a campaign for my
>group. However, the God Learner and what he wants to do makes for
>an excellent villain and if you're ever interested in hearing my
>ideas on using him in a campaign, I'd be happy to start another
>thread on the idea. IMO, villains should be very fleshed out, not
>just cardboard bad guys. Something they drill into you in
>professional writing courses. I think you'd like this bad guy.

Sure, flesh out the villain, it's something I like to do. If you do it well enough people can sympathise with him/her even though they dislike them. However gods aren't human villains (or heros) they are more human faces on natural forces. Orlanth is the storm, Thed is destructive lust. In many ways they are two dimensional.

What I'm less comfortable with is the idea of a villain with only a heroband being able to significantly affect the entire world on the God plane. The Lunar Emperor who is at least a demi-god does this with the help of Sedenya and a community of hundreds of thousands. To me that's an important part of how Glorantha works. If your Glorantha varies as much as it seems to it is hardly surprising that helpful suggestions are lost among the "well my Glorantha doesn't work like that".

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/