Re: Now we can finally have those magic rules discussions!

From: L C <lightcastle_at_eWXD4CCI7DVDHBcXtb0eM-GqpMguUnXWn_tMjT69ohMSgdTk8uaf02o8dkqvwPNp>
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 18:53:31 -0400

*rubs hands in glee*

As I mentioned on the rules list, I am surprised with how much I like the basic idea of the new magic rules. I think they strip some of the more arbitrary mechanics out and get to the idea that it is more an approach level that makes the differences. In many ways, it takes advantage of HQ2's use of credibility tests as a barrier and puts the onus on "what is a credible use of a given type of magic" as the main way they get differentiated. This makes me happy.

I will promptly be throwing the "you must have this level of ability to become this stage of magician" thing out as against the grain of non-absolute scores and of little or no use to me whatsoever. I can keep people in or out of Initiate or Shaman by way of story reasons rather than arbitrary numbers.

I like that the new rules seem to allow for mixed lay worship in a far easier manner.

The rune affinities being described more as a by-product of a theist approach rather than something everyone has seems to make that a little more clear.

I need to go over them again but my impression upon first read was that the new rules are far more interesting to work with and potentially interesting for modeling Glorantha than I had hoped. They seem to straddle a line of something pantheonic that doesn't have to be limited to a single other world and allowing for cults to be put back in in interesting ways that offer me some hope for something more interesting than what we had.