Re: Size of Glorantha

From: Christopher Graves <chrphrgrv_at_3_60dh2V8cT_T5419BvodS4NruWUDXzWpabJawfrVCLX56ygZ-6KuLyLLbka9YMU5C>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 21:03:53 -0000

Somewhere in this thread there is a complaint that there is not enough room for mountains in Sartar or some such. I have a USGS quadrangle approximately 4 x 7 miles from Colorado in the US, that has about 30 named peaks on it above 12,000 feet, many of these above 13,000 feet, one small river, approximately 40 to 60 meters wide, runs though part of the map and another of equal size finds its headwaters there. Surely, Sartar is large enough for its mountainous regions. The quad is entitled "Storm King". The elevation changes within the area are about 4,500 feet from river to quite nearby peaks. Now there isn't a lot of arable land on this quad but the lowest elevation is probably around 8,500 feet, and Colorado, though it might appear so, is not a magical land. The mountains in Sartar proper are not as large as the Rockwoods etc., correct? Those are closer to the vast Himalayan style peeks of which you refer. And of course KF is beyond all comprehension. But I get the impression that the mountains around KF are smaller than those in Sartar. For my part, I like the intimacy of the smaller distances in Genertela than one would at first assume.