Re: Sunstop and conception of Arkat

From: Jerome Blondel <jeromeblondel_at_c-fzi0rvAxDzDtb9-HIlBGkUkt0iNBVIfbqZg6hC75Bcpo9ygwpRHqdzPj3npK>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 12:40:59 +0200

Todd Gardiner :
> Are you sure that Arkat was a mortal?
>
> He started off as a Brithani, betrayed them, and went through a long
> (more than a lifetime) string of assumed roles and betrayal of those
> roles, culminating with becoming a troll. I think it's very hard to
> make a definite statement about what Arkat was, even within the myths
> of one culture.

Arkat practiced sorcery and taught it to the trolls, and he worshipped Humakt and Zorak Zoran, which doesn't make sense for a deity. But maybe he's of a different nature than human or troll or mortal.

> Add to that the complication that we are talking about 1000 year old
> (imaginary) history, following two continent-wide setbacks of culture
> and empire.
>
> On the other hand, the Mortal/God dichotomy is another aspect of the
> Same Being/Mirror Image nature of Arkat/Gbaji.

I think the devil is in the details here. Mortals and Gods would be grouped in two groups of opposite qualities, pertaining to Arkat and Gbaji. But since Arkat rejected Gbaji as a false god it may be that he was not and that they were the same nature. But in the end, Gbaji still posed as a god and Arkat as a human or troll.

Jerome