Re: Why are the New Hills new?

From: donald_at_U5HRwYjcJdJvt9rNlsU8qInUHAZWPBLMuq6ZfYbRuP5L45AFAGHBxJPT7dLSuYCS8DeM2
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 13:36:00 GMT

In message <h4e9bk+7uqj_at_eGroups.com> "Christopher Graves" writes:

>Hey Donald, I took a look at the map you referred to in your post. While
>the outline of the SPH is the same it does not show detail on the level
>of the various sets of hills in the Far Place. So who knows.

Agreed. There isn't enough detail for comparison and how much of the detail on the Dragon Pass map is accurate as opposed to artistic impression I'm not sure. It just puts a limit on the extent of the change if the change happened after the 2nd Age.

In human language terms I would expect the change to have happened after the resettlement. There was no link for people to carry forward an older name.

>Also, there is some confusion about the location of Salor that I have
>encountered before. I have some sources stating that Old Salor is the EWF
>city under Alda-Chur. I have found 'plain' Salor in two other locations
>on various maps from other sources, one being the one you mentioned. The
>other placed Salor further down the River from where your map shows it.
>I would assume that yours is the most definitive source for the location
>of Salor being that it is official material and the latest published. So
>anyway, I think once again it is up in the air about just how early one
>has to date the origin of the New Hills.

The map in Dragon Pass also shows an EWF ruin named Salor in the same position so I think the sources referring to Old Salor being under Alda-Chur are wrong. There probably are ruins which date from the 2nd age but they may not be a city.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/