Re: Status of Mongoose RQ publications' Glorantha content

From: Richard Hayes <richard_hayes29_at_sQT9HohNX0BI5cWp5RUmqCUvYMSFgJlf0WHr4iz_tU824nwkTBaU2wk9kqE0>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 12:19:05 +0000 (GMT)

[deleted]

Mongoose has a 10 year license for Glorantha and intends to make the absolute most of the possibilities and opportunities. More importantly, the Mongoose RQ team (myself and Pete Nash) work closely with Moon Design and Greg directly to ensure compatibility, canon and continuity.

[deleted]

Gentlemen,

Was this true of Mongoose's first edition of RQ as well as the new edition?

I ask because of one particular contradiction that I recall from MRQ's write-up of the cult of Lodril (pp. 37-38 of Cults of Glorantha), which published what I now understand, following a lengthy discussion in this group, to a decidedly pre-Entekosiad version of the Lodril cult, even though it had only been published some time after the Entekosiad.

Hell, MRQ didn't even give Lodril the Earth rune!

This write-up did give him a Heat rune though, and the cult also had magic that was very heat-centred-- even the farming spells were based around the use of heat. (Mind you, I can't help thinking that if one were redesigning a Gloranthan cult for rice farmers from scratch it would involve the marriage of Earth and Water somewhere... and I note that the MRQ description of grain goddesses said that the grain goddeses associated with rice were Krala and Slonta, whereas Pelora's crop was wheat?)

Also is the Disorder rune really the right power rune for a cult which, most of the time, is a cult for forelock-tugging peasants? (Though I note that this rune is used in Heroquest too, alongside Earth and Fertility). There is a disorderly side to Lodril, but doesn't Heat without Light contains a hint of implied disorder (at least by Yelmic standards) anyway,

Be that as it may, can both versions of Lodril still be canon? I suppose they could if the cult of Lodril radically changed between the Second and Third Ages-- though I don't see how this could affect the god's Runes, as Lodril's acquisition of the Earth Rune (as recounted in the Entekosiad) was surely a pre-Dawning event? Or was Lodril's lack of an Earth Rune (and Heat Rune?) in the Second Age a God Learner experiment/temporary aberration, possibly connected to the Godlearners' attempts to declare Lodril and Veskarthen to be the same really? But then doesn't Veskarthen also have the Earth Rune anyway?

Also does this not undermine the strong Pelorian traditions of continuity-- or is the point that Pelorian continuity is a myth masking a considerably more complex reality?

It seems odd for the same god to have different Runes-- although I can understand why the same god with the same Runes might offer slightly different magic to its followers in both games, due to the different game mechanics between MRQ and Heroquest. Though couldn't one reduce the gap between the two a bit by having MRQ adopt something like the "Rune Points" alternative rulespublished in (IIRC) Tales of the Reaching Moon #12, (even if it made MRQ more different from previous versions of RQ).

There may well be others. I've not gone looking for inconsistencies to make a point here-- I've merely looked at what I thought was a big anomaly that I can remember off the top of my head.

For example, is it 'canon' outside MRQ as well as in it that people could find/mug people for little Runes in the Second Age (but could not do so in the Third Age?), which they could then attune to for augments and/or use like a charm? Or is this use of runes in the Second Age (as one cynic on this group suggested), intended so that characters in MRQ could quest for Runes in a very literal sense ?

Do we now have two canons?

Richard Hayes