Re: Status of Mongoose RQ publications' Glorantha content

From: Lawrence Whitaker <lawrence.whitaker_at_UMiUtL4K8SVl5UQMTSvw29SQPl1hBxX84hh9VgD7Iy9SQ_Pa2Jq1hgpcm->
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 10:55:53 -0500

2010/1/4 Ian Borchardt <iborchar_at_AK_Fjk7LuXhkyxfbC7YW0MJs5-Q3kL2Wz_6is48uTfEbLAWRnIr1iCkR2urxDVQkKiIfSRhQiOsjgW8.yahoo.invalid>

> Please forgive me if I sound overly cynical, but will you be offering
> update/transition publications, or is this simply an attempt to make
> us repurchase 90% of the same material yet again in order to remain
> "canonical"?

No need to apologise for sounding overly cynical :-)

There are two reasons for reworking some of the original MRQ Second Age material. The first is obviously to bring materials that need to remain current in-line with the RQII rules; this is why Races of Glorantha and Cults are being worked-on first. In the case of Races of Glorantha we'll be consolidating all the races books into one volume and carrying out the necessary updates. However, there will be a free, PDF, MRQ to RQII conversion guide made available soon which means you won't need to buy the new book. If you have Dragonewts, Mostali, Aldryami and so on in their first edition form, the vast bulk of the material will be served, conversion-wise, by the RQII conversion notes.

Cults is more problematic because the two original volumes released for Second Age Glorantha are highly flawed. The new editions will bring cults into line with RQII but also correct a lot of the problems the first editions suffered from, plus expand the range of cults (specifically relating to God Learner and EWF cults) and ensure as much cross compatibility and continuity with what Moon Design is doing with HQ2 and Sartar. This is a very necessary work stream and although I've yet to begin work on the Cults book, my feeling is that Cults of Glorantha vols 1 and 2 will be rendered redundant. However, what you will get is all the cults in one volume, and a more substantial, correct and - dare I say it - canonical work to boot.

After these publications its new material all the way...

--
One day I feel I'm ahead of the wheel
And the next its rolling over me...

Rush - 'Far Cry'