From Satar:KoH, Bringing a person back as a heroquest prize

From: Hal Bowman <hal_bowman1_at_jsWKVNl6McCRbfKuRTqxpb9wrczisb2n6uaiHwWCD2_lxnB46pZVXcCmX9r4bMae>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 11:58:04 -0800 (PST)

In Satar: Kingdom of Heroes, we hear about Harmast Barefoot undertaking his 20th trip, going through the Underworld and returning with Arkat as a prize. Arkat was a person. At another point, we are told that you cannot bring anything material back from the Other Side, so you take a "holder" with you, like a normal sword that will become a magic sword, or something like that. (p.190) It is also said that Other Side entities might come back. But Arkat was not some sort of magic Other Side entity. He was a person.

So I am confused.

1. Was Harmast's 20th trip not a Other Side trip (I'm guessing it was, since p. 187 mentions the Underworld, etc.)?
2. Can one take a person back as a prize, since they are not a "thing"?
3. Was Arkat not a person when he was taken, but became/possessed one when he came back?
4. Is the rule about not bringing anything material just in conflict with the Harmast story in the book?
5. Am I, as usual, not getting this concept?