Re: Status of Mongoose RQ publications' Glorantha content

From: L C <lightcastle_at_FroK_jT7ymaSu-hOihaq4SGi1qne3nsM2Y8vGILNFBnMadZ3RNr9jN-1OWSJSAAS>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 18:06:06 -0500

  Kevin McDonald wrote:

> Part of the discussion, I suppose, should be what we mean by "canon"
> in the first place. Is it something that the community decides, or
> licensed publishers, or Issaries, or what?

Fair question. I'm actually more concerned with the guiding vision of how they want to progress than the details of canon. For instance, 2nd Age MRQ seems to have chosen Second Age because they were freeing themselves with lots of blank space. They seem now to be announcing they are coordinating with Moon Design to have a certain amount of feedback and consistency between the two visions.

What choices are being made from the point of view "the rules inform the world" vs "the world informs the rules".

"The Orlanthi are the Good Guys and the Lunars are the Bad Guys" vs "All the Cultures think they are the Good Guys and we aren't taking a position."

"There is an overarching magic system because it is easier to model with rules" or "Each culture will have its own magic system designed from scratch."

That sort of thing.

> Personally, I think everything published - officially licensed or
> otherwise - should be respected to some degree. Defining exactly what
> extent that should be is, IMHO, a lost cause. Clearly an article that
> says the Godlearners actually worshiped the god of cute puppies
> instead of the Invisible God would not be received with open arms. On
> the other hand, if someone decided that the Pelandans worship Turos
> and Oria instead of Lodril and Ernalda, and backed it up with cool
> mythlets and stories, then that might be received somewhat more
> warmly. :)

Certainly. (Actually, don't the Pelandans worship other gods completely than the Dara Happan/Orlanthi crew?)

> I suppose the difference is that one change undermines lots
> of existing material for no good reason and the other enhances and
> extends what has been written. It is up to the community to decide
> which is which, though. What is definitely true, though, is that
> Glorantha would be much less interesting if, say, authors felt
> constrained to continue saying that Pelandans really do worship Lodril
> and Ernalda because Avalon Hill (IIRC) said they did.

Or not. Deciding that's a set fact and then explaining why can be tremendously interesting. If Moon Design decided to go that route, who's to gainsay them? People who want to split from that will know they are splitting, but can choose to split with eyes wide open.

LC