Re: from Satar: KoH, This World quests - movement through the Mortal World

From: L C <lightcastle_at_fH9FQRg-4y3sP2gdvtWT4v4hUGO0Tgy7iRVq6vgQuj45nixpbZd7yFCxwDwzSVW1>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 19:33:00 -0500

 Assuming you are doing a This World quest, any number of things can happen. Also, I've always maintained there isn't a bright-shiny line between a This World quest and an Other World quest. At least, a This World Quest can slip over into the Other World for parts or even the rest of a sequence. (I think it is rare for an Other World one to "downshift" to a This World one, but I doubt it is out of the realm of possibility.)

So who jumps him? Could be truly mythic. Could be someone Rolf and Co set up (safest and least powerful). Could be another Heroquester. They may or may not know Rolf is on a HeroQuest. Say the legend has an attack by Zorak Zoran. He could be jumped by a Trollkin (which probably doesn't get him much). He could be jumped by someone who has powers of Darkness and Fire but no other connection to ZZ. (Even two or three people who encompass those powers together.) He could be jumped by a ZZ follower who is on his own Quest, or who simply gets sucked in. The more magically aware and connected to the myths involved the person is, the more likely they are to know what's going on. Maybe he falls into an OtherWorld quest and gets something particularly nasty. Maybe the resonance is really weak and he gets jumped by guys from the Orlanthi tula down the river.

So really, whatever will work for your story, and Rolf can set things up to try and steer it the way they want.

As for crawling away. I think if it is still in This World, any old passerby can see him. Maybe they are what heals his wounds, fulfilling the quest in some way. Maybe he has to get to a river. Maybe he has slipped over to the otherside and no one in the Mundane World can see him. Some people might realize he is on a Quest, some might not. Some might help him, and therefore take a role in the HQ despite themselves.

HeroQuests are risky. ^_^

LC