Re: Being "drawn into" a Heroquest

From: L C <lightcastle_at_6wQXbtA4EeIjZmhfuO-s-4YYgAZuKGpd8wGjiUmaES5XtzCT4F8VKq40QCPUEnc4>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 09:21:47 -0500

  Sean Foster wrote:

> Could the Lunars be "currently" doing this with the Pharaoh? Because
> of the
> "No time" in the Heroplane, they can go back and kill him/cause some
> of his
> previously successful Heroquests to fail and in so doing, not weaken
> him in
> the past, but weaken him (the currently dead him) now. Confusing.

Well, I've heard other time travel theories about Belintar, so why not? (He's one of the great blank canvases.)

> I recall in some convention publications (The 1st Australia Con?)
> there were
> questions about how the GL's cut up Arkat into 7 different pieces and
> spread
> him about and presumably weakened him so that someone could not go and
> do a
> Lightbringers quest and bring him back from the dead.

Doesn't he leave the scene some time before the GLs get going? (Mind you, they have a history as mages going back long before they take up the name, so maybe it amounts to the same thing.) Actually, I have no idea how "Arkat" (the guy using that name who walked out of the last fight at the end of the First Age) finally bites it.

> I assume this was
> similar to what is currently being done with Pharaoh. Harmast B managed to
> 'resurrect' Arkat as:
> a) the point of the LBQ is to bring back a hero to help you (and, if
> needed,
> seems to successfully resurrect these random? Heros in the process).

Is it? I mean, that's one of the two most famous results (The other is bringing back the Universe) but I don't know if it is the *point* of the LBQ. The LBQ seems more a "bring back what you need to fix it" quest. Usually this means "bring back/reinforce the laws of the universe". In more desperate times it seems you can bring back powers or a person. There's more than one way to bring someone back from the dead, or from hell, after all. I suspect the "cutting them up" approach wouldn't stop an LBQ. Full LBQ stitches the universe together, it can stitch a person together. I can see cutting someone up making it harder, though.

> b) The Vampire Kings of Tanisor (?) may have killed Arkat but they didn't
> weaken him 'spiritually' so somebody brought him back. The GL's were not
> going to make that mistake.
>
> Hmm...I wonder if the Pharaoh is/was Arkat? Arkat/Pharaoh/Elric/Corum
> - the
> eternal champion...

I like the Pharaoh as someone else entirely from Arkat, personally. Besides, 5 Arkats come back in Ralios later anyway, he's got stuff to do. :)

\