Re: from Sartar:KoH, being "drawn into" a heroquest

From: L C <lightcastle_at_6uxWl-tqLaKPHTVQPL8e3Rbp5q07jrTCpLhimUe0fnkYcsaW4aMUbfgBcc6u3w_e>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 15:07:20 -0500

Todd Gardiner wrote:

> It is implied that most clans hold a Heroquest during Sacred Time, as part
> of their two week observances. Everyone is gathered, there is a lot of
> magic
> flowing, stories are recreating the universe.
>
> In fact, it is suggested that most cultures observe Sacred Time. That sure
> does make a significant time period when you can assume that the
> heroes key
> contemporary foes are also doing their own HQ's. No wonder HQ's run into
> each other all of the time!

Good point.
Although I think only the Theleyans observe sacred time. That whole big swath up the middle that interacted with each other and were shaped by the Lightbringers and such.
My history on this is shaky, but isn't the broad swath in the middle of the northern continent that we call "Theist" really intertwined in cultural influence from the dawn and before? That's why they share the same calendar, and roughly the same runes? I can see this as a justification for their magic being so similar as well. (I guess this would basically be the First Council people, or everyone from "I Fought, We Won", which was NOT a world-wide event but was rather tied to the geographical area, if I recall correctly.)

> If half of all HQ's happen at Sacred Time and the other half are scattered
> across the calendar, that alone explains why there is crossover on quests.
> It's the Summons of Evil (and whatever equivalents there are in other
> cultures) that need explaining. Of course, coincidence happens ALL THE
> TIME
> in literature and movies. Hardly seems Deux ex Machina if the players are
> actively calling on that narrative power themselves.

Indeed. That's my view. But you have an excellent point about the Sacred Time thing. If lots of cultures are recreating important quests from their mythology at that time, even on a This World scale, people should get sucked in all the time. In fact, floating around NOT doing anything during Sacred Time is probably pretty dangerous because it means you are likely to get sucked into something in which you don't necessarily know what role you are playing, even if you know the myth. Participating in the ritual gives you a known role and so fewer surprises.

LC