Re: Sartar: KoH - worship of Orlanth under occupation and Lunarized tribal king - questions

From: julianlord <julian.lord_at_fH-2spnda_zmf8gLAvLU6JqUtVQHjvWIToLFu7q2B7grHQmM69Slg17pMddRS64V>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 03:50:50 -0000

Hal Bowman :

> In Sartar: KoH, it looks like the Lunars have the big Orlanth worship options sewn up pretty well: temples shut down, overt ceremonies in cities shut down, major mountain tops under observation (how many troopers have been struck by lightning, I wonder?).
>
> Nevertheless, the heroes are able to be initiated, so there are some worship opportunities available. Are these just sneaking at the clan level? In the Colymar tribe, with its Lunarized King, I would think there would be some effort to watch out for Orlanth worship at the clan level. But maybe the resources aren't there, or the king is not willing to risk provoking revolt.
>
> Any insights in how I might handle this well would be appreciated.

Most worship of Orlanth and Ernalda would occur at the very local level of the clan, and it is only *some* forms of worship that require the big tribal or regional temples, as well as some more political aspects.

Which really should illustrate just how scary what Lokamayadon did really was, because he somehow managed to disrupt this local level of worship *everywhere*. Neither the GLs nor the Lunars managed to nearly destroy the cult of Orlanth, but merely kept it supposedly under "control" ...

The Lunar Way of conversion is a slow one, but the contrary nature of Orlanth to Lunarism is such a strong one that converting some leaders in the hope that the Lunar ideas will filter down to the populace might be a somewhat fanciful expectation.

Julian Lord