Re: Sartar: KoH - why does Fazzur act this way [spoiler]

From: L C <lightcastle_at_181yqDc5DJsmHwe2HkpB_y0vFQGf1q96z1NLfxNd9cUn_hAOIsOrBI3R6MrW2nVM>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 00:14:27 -0500

A few ideas, I'll answer below your spoiler warning.

Hal Bowman wrote:

> I'm starting to think that spoiler warnings are unnecessary, but
> anyway....
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> On p. 304, there is a box called "Andrin's story" in which we hear
> details of how Fazzur arranged for Hofstaring to be caught, have his
> hands removed, and placed into Lunar Hell. He had good reasons to
> making sure those hands didn't get loose: with the hands, Hofstaring
> would find a way out of Hell. It was also important to give them to
> the Prince of Sartar, or "else they would find their way back to him."
> So to me, it would be important to Fazzur to keep the hands with the
> Prince, even though Fazzur thinks the Prince is very lame.
>
> But on p. 311, Fazzur does not put Lunar officers into action to stop
> the heroes if they steal the hands at the banquet. His follow up
> searching is weak. What gives? What am I missing?

First, on p.314 we have this "General Fazzur will not take any action against the heroes at this point, as
he finds it useful to display Temertain’s powerlessness as a way of showing who the real ruler of Sartar is."

It is possible this is behind is lack of action during the actual theft. This might be coupled with Peter's idea that the hands are no longer actually a threat.

Or, we can always assume someone just handed him the Idiot Ball for a minute: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IdiotBall