Re: Sartar: KoH - tribal kings who adopt the Lunar way...questions

From: Greg Stafford <glorantha1_at_p06y2p8RQ0HCzhhD7GJc3nIyWPnKdM60YIcZhy09WfsfHaOsAH7hThsudYaxzJGNC>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 04:25:06 -0800

YGWV On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 7:13 PM, Hal Bowman <hal_bowman1_at_IhQZo3d2ftXFlxY2V4tIrGOudknCk_vsZx5NKSzoLspFTyj31KDLGd6hy9_Tzec-2ZxjMvmCDYlzdJfly2E.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> Thanks for all the help so far. My first game with this campaign is
> tomorrow and my players are twice as smart as me. They are, to a man, under
> the weather and so I cannot use Plan A (dumb them down with booze). I have
> to use Plan B - understand things.
>
> OK, some of the tribal kings have gone over to the Lunar Way, including the
> heroes' own king. In his case, it's pretty blatant (big Goddess-on-Bat
> tapestry, Lunar sorcerors, etc.).
>
> I'm looking at this and wondering:
>
> - why isn't this guy big time tormented by spirits of reprisal? Lunar magic
> protests him?

Without commenting on the game mechanics, you are right: the new spirits protect him.

> - why isn't this guy dead? I would think that the list of folks willing to
> make it to Orlanth's Stead in the Sky to redeem the honor of his clan or the
> tribe would be pretty long.

Presumably, as king he is not stupid or alone. He would never do this without support from the clan, and hopefully overwhelming support. A single hero seeking martyrdom has to deal with the whole clan defense system.

Probably for the same reasons the chief joined, whatever they are.

> Just rewards - what about honor?

Honor is a flexible virtue when it is pressed by practicality.

> Am I being naive?

Or idealistic.

I just read an article in The Economist by a guy who was riding around with the Sartar rebels, I mean Taliban, who reports that in some clans half join the government and half join the resistance, so that whoever wins the clan will be fed.

THAT is a pasion for family.

--
Greg Stafford
Game Designer