Re: Status of Mongoose RQ publications' Glorantha content

From: L C <lightcastle_at_g5POSVmoKoQYsiKOXl6nMkhExIVs904krUxCA5YY36GxtV0ST1JYdNlfCMdiYPkv>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 10:55:19 -0500

Greg Stafford wrote:

> Please do forgive my presumption here, but until I am cold int he
> grave, the
> official word on what is canon is up to me.

Kind of think this doesn't count as "presumption". *smile*

> Officially, it is whatever is published.
> Although some of the material by Mongoose made me start to reconsider
> that.

Published by the two lines?

> > For instance, 2nd Age MRQ seems to have chosen Second Age because they
> > were freeing themselves with lots of blank space.
>
> Speculation when actual sources of information are available only leads to
> error.
> In fact, I insisted they do Second Age because I thought it would be
> helpful
> for the authors to not have to read everything published to remain out of
> conflict. I did think that they would at least read the *relevant
> *material.

*nod*
Duly noted.

> > They seem now to be
> > announcing they are coordinating with Moon Design to have a certain
> > amount of feedback and consistency between the two visions.
> >

> Yes, and let us sing praise for it.

Well, I'll raise a joyous noise, but you don't really want to hear me sing. *smile*

> > What choices are being made from the point of view "the rules inform the
> > world" vs "the world informs the rules".
> >

> This is a decision that can be urged but not forced.

Certainly, but it is a decision.

> My perspective is that this is a game, and no game (or book or essay) can
> capture the true essence of Glorantha, nor is it supposed to. The game
> is to
> have fun--MGF. It's gotta be playable, or it is garbage. The rules are the
> actual interface with the world here, and so anything that interferes
> with a
> smooth play, or with fun, should be sanded down to make the rules work
> that
> way. Otherwise we end up with a million petty rules for each little
> thing to
> do.

I happen to agree with you. For instance, one that *was* explained was the "We want to keep to core runes as much as possible." Sure, there are lots and lots of runes, but most concepts are covered by the core ones and can then be limited by text explanation. Thus wherever possible, Moon Design is using the core runes and only if that *really* isn't going to work, are they going to introduce a new rune. (At least, that's the impression I left with.)

That's a pretty clear explanation that lets someone who is coming up with a cult have a good chance of harmonizing it with them or to choose to diverge with full awareness.

> "There is an overarching magic system because it is easier to model with
> > rules" or "Each culture will have its own magic system designed from
> > scratch."
> >
> > That sort of thing.
> >

> Your desire is understood.
> I am not convinced that the game designers need to do that at all.

Need to choose or need to explain themselves? ^_^

> A work of
> art must stand by itself, and if it raises more questions then it is a
> good
> work of art.

OK, have to note my disagreement but am not going to get into a huge discussion on the nature of art. ^_^

> Its not a text book to lay everything out or you--that is
> impossible. We (writers, designers) hope it will be complete, with a
> beginning, middle and end; and be sufficient unto itself; and fit
> within the
> Big Picture.

And if a game, that it will be played.

> Certainly. (Actually, don't the Pelandans worship other gods completely
> > than the Dara Happan/Orlanthi crew?)
> >

> They also worship some gods that are also found in the DH and Orlanthi
> pantheons.

*nod*
Remembered that after sending it off.

> Or not. Deciding that's a set fact and then explaining why can be
> > tremendously interesting. If Moon Design decided to go that route, who's
> > to gainsay them? People who want to split from that will know they are
> > splitting, but can choose to split with eyes wide open.
> >

> Yes

All I'm asking.

LC