Re: Questions, Comments, suggestions: setting house campaign in Teshnos

From: Santo Sengupta <s.santo.sengupta_at_Leqlhx4F4-NWANyPaLn-7Ghu7OknK4uFDr05UJ2FuloD3gmhLhDoo-66-eS>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 18:28:06 -0500

Namaste:

I've run a 3rd Age game in Teshnos. Here are my opinions.

  1. First off, you'll be wandering around in the dark unexplored recesses of Glorantha. It can be rewarding, but it can also be a little frustrating, as most everyone is constantly talking about the Orlanthi. Of course, Your Glorantha Will Vary, but that can be tough going for a newbie to the setting.
  2. Sources of information on Teshnos include:
  3. Glorantha, Introduction to the Hero Wars - I agree, it's very sparse but it's not bad.
  4. HeroQuest Voices - really juicy stuff.
  5. Genertela, Crucible of the Hero Wars - Wow, the 80's were SO LONG AGO. But still there are few decent bits in this RQ3 supplement.
  6. Glorantha, the Second Age - This RQ4 supplement is awesome. Additionally, there are bits of information in the Player's Guide for RQ4, and some bits in the Cults book for Tolat.
  7. The Zin Letters #2 is a fanzine that has some Teshnos material for RQ. It's not bad.
  8. The Four Scrolls of Revelation has some stuff on Melib, but IMHO, it doesn't entirely mesh well with stuff that's been established about the Gachi and the Ashurtan that live in Melib. Still, it's not bad.
  9. Revealed Mythologies has SO MUCH STUFF on Vithelan mythology, but only a scant page or two on Teshnos. Still, it's a fascinating (if confusing) read, and gives you some better ideas about what Eastern Glorantha is like.

Personally, I think the time period you are talking about could be fascinating. I always assumed that the God Learners culturally (if not actually) colonized Teshnos, and the people of suffered when the Doom fell upon the GL's. I had some tasty bits in my campaign about the "Church Of the Invisible Flame", which was an GL attempt to convert the Teshnans in mass to monotheism. Of course, they ended up contacting the Sixth Fiery Form, which was simple no good for anyone.

Contact me off list if you want to hear me ramble more about Teshnos.

-S. Santo Sengupta
"Aum Shanti Shanti Shantih."