Re: From Satar:KoH, Bringing a person back as a heroquest prize

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_EyOy-TvwQH4yoTFUrwTnhXqZeOTS-0nvNPPWzPkpfRHgpdmw3MliS6s569naq4lm3i->
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2010 20:48:02 -0000

Hal Bowman:

> So I am confused.
> 1. Was Harmast's 20th trip not a Other Side trip (I'm guessing it was, since p. 187 mentions the Underworld, etc.)?
> 2. Can one take a person back as a prize, since they are not a "thing"?
> 3. Was Arkat not a person when he was taken, but became/possessed one when he came back?
> 4. Is the rule about not bringing anything material just in conflict with the Harmast story in the book?
> 5. Am I, as usual, not getting this concept?

Orlanth and the first Lightbringers brought back Yelm, Harmast brought back Arkat and Talor in two LBQs, Argrath brought back Sheng Seleris and Aringor Darstalsson brought back Narnarra the Greater, who is presumably a person as well.

I wouldn't worry about sticking to a rigid set of rules about what can and cannot be brought back from a HeroQuest. They should be fluid and flexible. There are many quests where the object of the quest is a person, perhaps a concubine or a bride, and someone can be brought back from the Otherworld. Think of how many people have a wife who is a water nymph, for example, mostly obtained through HeroQuesting.

Other Side quests are very powerful, of course, and bringing back such a prize would mean obtaining a heroic or divine spouse which may fit the style of game being played.

I think the reason for having a "holder" that becomes a magical item is to explain how several people can HeroQuest for the same magical weapon, so they can all come back with a working copy rather than the actual original.

Personally, I prefer to think that physical things and living creatures/people can be brought back from a HeroQuest. The Red Goddess brought back the Crimson Bat, for example. Whilst the above examples are the results of powerful HeroQuests by powerful heroes/deities, but the principles should still apply to the most minor of HeroQuests.

See Ya

Simon