Re: Votank the son of Durbadath/Goat Woman?

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_pBtUdq9kNpXb9nLa09qXua-WTvToWL21A__JCoR6eQwROE3V7MYzXZWO4MmRWJQZWu3>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 10:41:19 +1300

philbert6000 wrote:

> I did not have the benefit of the wisdom of the GROY, and so did not
> know that the gods wall shows Votank as the child of Durbudath and
> the Goat Goddess. However other texts erroneously call this godling
> Zarkos. What is the truth?

Votank is Votank. Zarkos is the Dara Happan name for Votankiland. They called Votank Ergesh which is merely their word for slave.

> Is Votank in fact the slave god of the Dara Happans, is Durbadath
> another reincarnation of Basmol?

The Dara Happans in the mythical times took the Votanki as slaves. That's why Votank appears as a slave god.

Durbaddath is not Basmol but a different Lion Deity, just like Elmal is a different sun diety than Yelmalio.

> Why do the Carmanians worship this god who came from Pamaltela?

Why do the British have lions in their heraldy? Why do the Americans have Eagles?

> Was it Tada who destroyed the god?

Tada killed Basmol, not Durbaddath.

> What is the meaning of the
> "decapitation" of this god by Yelm and his servitute.

I presume it was some fiction

> I am also fascinated by things I did not know before about the
> Celestial Hunter, depicted as Lukarius in the Celestial Forest. Is it
> in fact that god that is the father of the 8 hunting gods?

The Celestial Hunter is Lestarkus, not Lukarius. Lestarkus is the Dara Happan Hunting god. The Orlanthi look there and see Odayla, the Votanki look up there and see Foundchild.

 > Can anyone tell me more about the Celestial Forest, as a
> place where Foundchild hero quests take place?

A forest in the sky.

> Is Durbadath the Lion
> in the Celestial forest? Does Sakkar live in this same place?

The Lion Constellation is in the Celestial Forest. It can be interpreted as Durbadath or Sakkar.

> Is Brother Dog related to Telmor in some way?

The God Learners thought so. Their worshippers think otherwise.

--Peter Metcalfe

--Peter Metcalfe