Re: Votank the son of Durbadath/Goat Woman?

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_8nmx1c128dK2AX6Bk8YXNEA3a419NCm2-9cLu99jJfZeedshR56vapdkJ3z_MJ1Oc7k>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 15:24:13 -0000

philbert6000:

> I am running a campaign in Balazar after many years of absence from
> GMing duties, 20 years after I ran this campaign for the first
> time. I did not have the benefit of the wisdom of the GROY, and so
> did not know that the gods wall shows Votank as the child of
> Durbudath and the Goat Goddess. However other texts erroneously
> call this godling Zarkos. What is the truth?

> Is Votank in fact the slave god of the Dara Happans, is Durbadath
> another reincarnation of Basmol?

In my campaign, I have made Votank the equivalent of Foundchild in Balazar, which fits in with the Griffin Island writeup, and is also an ancestral god as in the Griffin Mountain writeup. So, Votank was abandoned as an infant, found by Grandmother Sky and raised at her hearth. He then became a hunting god and founded the Votanki clans, becoming an ancestral god. This means that the Votanki do not acknowledge the link between Votank and Durbadath.

> Why do the Carmanians worship this god who came from Pamaltela?

Since Durbadath is not Basmol, he didn't come from Pamaltela.

> Was it Tada who destroyed the god? What is the meaning of
> the "decapitation" of this god by Yelm and his servitute.

What is the meaning of any myth? I'd just take it as it is.

> I am also fascinated by things I did not know before about the
> Celestial Hunter, depicted as Lukarius in the Celestial Forest.
> Is it in fact that god that is the father of the 8 hunting gods?

I wouldn't necessarily say so. Hunting Gods don't seem to have devolved in the same way as, say, the elemental deities.

> Can anyone tell me more about the Celestial Forest, as a place
> where Foundchild hero quests take place? Is Durbadath the Lion in
> the Celestial forest? Does Sakkar live in this same place?

In the early Golden Age myths, the Sky and Earth were togather, so the Celestial Forest would have been in both realms. After Umath ripped Sky and Earth apart, the Celestial Forest would have been in the Sky. I'd put Sakkar on the plains of Peloria rather than in the Celestial Forest, but the Lion could be either of them. Certainly myths about a lion in the Celestial Forest could equally well be either god, although Durbadath is not a lion god, but a lion-headed god.

> Is Brother Dog related to Telmor in some way?

In a vague way. Both descend from the same god, if you believe the God Learner structures. I'd say that Brother Dog is a typical godling, one of the pups of a dog founder god, but his mythos is tied up with Foundchild and that's what makes him different.

> So many questions and no answers from the texts....

Welcome to Glorantha!