Re: Manirian Politics & The Future of the Trader Princes

From: bryan_thx <bethexton_at_TI3J79CL6XJji6UiVJWbtwJZ0GgvXpfvqPSKE3T2EcY-4pr7FcfB_YohOEZUks7yJP>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 19:17:49 -0000

> I agree that the Asharan Church is not in a good position, and a lot of this thread is a mental exercise for me trying to imagine ways it could survive. I mean, the way things are written, the good money is on the Trader Princes dying off leaving the only big question whether or not Graymane or someone like him manages to establish a long-standing unity between clans & tribes.

I have no real idea what happens to the Ahsaran Church in 'canon' Glorantha (well, OK, given King of Sartar I can predict that it will disappear along with most other organizations....). But to my mind, if you want to make it a dynamic part of a story it would make sense to go one of two ways:

  1. Its time is gone, and people who are invested in it, in whatever way (it is their religion, their profession, their protector...) have to deal with its increasing irrelevance and impotence to deal with a changing world. There can be interesting stories there, if you are into that sort of thing...although similar stories can probably be told about a lot of groups in the Hero Wars period.
  2. There is more to it that people 'currently' know. After all, who says Castelain stitched together all of the relevant myths? A new prophet(s) could re-found the church with expanded scope. Maybe Esrolia wasn't the end of the journey? Maybe the journey was only the first part of a wider remit?
    • Could have a game where the player characters build up to being that/those prophets, finding and completing new hero quests and ultimately re-writing the scripture!
    • The player characters could be in the first wave of new recruits, dealing both with an old guard who reject the new ways, those who feel threatened by a new and more robust church, and spreading the word to those who haven't heard it, trying to build the reformed church up to a vigorous new size.