Re: Satar: KoH scenario: session 1

From: L C <lightcastle_at_WqM3ku8mLN9XMbPIAEHXAc4ZnUl3-SVxxkdbDd3AFxVlTIXeSarwQxWCdipQGx-u>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 12:57:17 -0500

Hal Bowman wrote:

> 1. Started with a five minute skeletal setup of the heroes, before
> making the Orlmarth clan. Players picked gender and a very basic
> template from a short list (good talker, knows lots of lore, warrior,
> etc.). A quick translation to: male "warrior" though he is still more
> or less a herder, male hunter, male herder with "knows lots of lore,"
> female herder/farmer.

Sounds a perfectly decent mix.

> 2. Worked through the clan questionnaire. [...] "Angry
> hillbillies"..."Oh, wow, we're really troublemakers."

LOL!!! Fantastic.

> They were current Uz friends, which I like, because I might try to
> roll in the trip to Crabtown in between episodes (not sure how, but
> I'm dying to run the old drinking game bit - Powzie!

There's always an excuse for Uz. :)

> [...] At first they were confused about how the wyter could have an
> ability to resist the effects of "No air" but then one decided it
> meant they had a way to resist suffocating, which was a hit. They
> started to think about how this could be used tactically, but secretly
> so that no one else knew.

That sounds interesting.

> 3. We were short on time, so we assigned runes to PCs and the basic
> keyword for their occupation and launched into the feast of beasts
> episode. They got the basic gist of what was going on, got the basics
> on the ducks/Lismelder thing, and then the male warrior PC (Orlanth
> initiate) went gaga over Ernalsulva. The rest of players joked about
> "awww, look at the puppy" and then "uh oh" when the hero light and
> *ting* happened.

Fantastic, he just walked right into it! He started up with trying to win her before he go god-touched to do it? That's just perfect.

> I gave him the verse about wooing Ernalda, which he read. The
> warrior's player ended the verse with "Bwunhilda, I wuuuuuuuv you,"
> which was good for laughs. The potential fight with Killer was defused
> pretty quickly - the warrior picked up his spear and was ready to
> fight, one of the other male heroes got up to "back him up", the other
> grabbed the warrior and said, "Dude, I know you could totally wipe the
> floor with him, but we can't do this here" (ok, not exactly in
> character, but I got the point). Lismelders got up, Orlmarths got up,
> but the female PC jumped in the middle and invoked her Harmony rune to
> tell everyone that our guy was channeling the god, that this was holy
> Ernalda ground and a feast day, so no fighting. Good successes all
> around, and for time reasons I decided that the Lismelders would back
> down and try to ambush the heroes later, which I telegraphed by a
> Lismelder telling Branduan that he couldn't kill the PC *here and
> now*. I also decided that this Lismelder guy got the hint about
> channeling Orlanth and so maybe taking on the PC while he was glowing
> with Hero Light was not such a bright idea. I sort of cheated by not
> making the heroes resist the Orlmarth habit of fighting a lot.
> Ernalsulva requested her first deed..."Oh, great, the hands were last
> scene with the Lunar Julius Caesar" and the session ended with the
> heroes decided to sleep it off with relatives in town and then
> probably sneak along hunting trails back home in the hopes of catching
> what they
> assumed will be a Lismelder ambush by surprise. I'm hoping to keep
> Branduan alive, so that he and the PCs can be rivals. They are
> assuming now that multiple folks will be trying for the hands, so I am
> going to cook up other teams who will be haplessly failing along the way.

I like the "other groups want the hands" idea. Do you want it to be other clans who were at the Feast of Beasts and/or want Ernalsulva or are you going to throw in factions outside the Sartarites?

> We will put finishing touches on the PCs and the clan next time, and
> roll through the next part of the scenario. That won't be until early
> February.

That sounds delightfully fun. :)

LC