Re: Teshnos in HW: Glorantha and HQ Voices

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_129m0yD7Q41UBHEidctjaRKem3t7nlbHoVewGfqfnV3mxqz1rH93eeD5I_ezVrrFDpk>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 07:47:04 +1300

Hal Bowman wrote:

> 2. HQ Voices has the speaker (a shop/store/emporium owner) mention
> his third wife. Is this an indication of polygamy or that he has had
> three wives? I didn't see any other info on polygamy, but its
> presence is alright. Just wasn't clear to me.

I don't see what more evidence of polygamy you need.

> 3. This guy seems like he handles wealth, and anyone who could spend
> money in the way he describes what leisure time activities there are
> (a GREAT paragraph) handles wealth too.. But there's also the idea
> that first level teaching folks don't handle money and turn it all
> over to priests. That seems in conflict.

Obviously he has progressed beyond being a simple villager who are the people meant to turn over all their money.

> 6. Babadi - I thought the local dwarfs were Octomonist and avoid
> trade with surface folks?

Which gives a better flavour to Teshnan society? Exotic beardless dwarves wearing turbans or the standard dwarves wearing full plate and carrying firearms?

> 7. Kab Tolat Solf - the Solf folks seem crazily degenerate, but here
> is Solf in the name of a warrior god? I'm lost. And is this the same
> Tolat as that of the Amazons? Lost again.

Why is there a problem? What happens if the answer is yes to both questions?

  > 11. "Slaves are forbidden" in HQ Voices - just in temple ceremonies,
> or is that meant to say that slavery is against Teshnan culture. I'm
> guessing slavery is OK, since we hear mention of Goonda chain gangs.

The goondas are in chain-gangs because they have been bad (public drunkeness, rioting over the price of bananas etc) not because they are slaves.

> 12. Goonda sound cool. I think my crew and I would make them less
> drunks and less in chain gangs and more like King Louis or the
> baboons in Prax (at least the ones I saw in River of Cradles and
> Temple of Feroda).

If you want Baboons in Teshnos then stick a population or small colony over in Thoskal. The Goondas are meant to be different from the Baboons, not just Baboons with orange fur.

> 14. Thoskali - are these bat Hsunchen?

They just be simple folk. There could be Hsunchen among them but their innocent lifestyle predominates rather than their religion.

> 15.. The idea of Teshnans inheriting all possessions, debts,marriage
> partners, and criminal guilt from past lives just seems like a big
> problem socially

Why is this a problem? The Dragonewts do something similar. When you see Rich Nobles and poor villagers, the average observer screams feudalism. By basing the society explicitly on reincarnation and karma (rather than just have it as an catchall doctrine to explain why bad things happen to good people), Teshnos becomes a more interesting society.

--Peter Metcalfe