Re: Teshnos in HW: Glorantha and HQ Voices

From: Todd Gardiner <todd.gardiner_at_vskmWe3D5KJ2B9qtltnNVAIkfpXzsv8IPo4cVPW9IsXFdLruQY3fIckXGrp0iv>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 11:11:21 -0800

> 15.. The idea of Teshnans inheriting all possessions, debts,marriage
> partners, and criminal guilt from past lives just seems like a big problem
> socially (maybe it isn't and maybe the authors know of real societies like
> this) but I'd toss it right away in a game. Or maybe that was just a way to
> say inherited karma or something. But I'd just toss it.
>
> It's certainly a problem when you can't prove that the two individuals
(recently dead, newly reborn) are the same person. Just as these things (debts, social obligations, crimes, etc) are a challenge in society when they can't prove which individual they are attached to. The answer is that Teshnan society has solved this problem, at least to some degree.

That all points to the interesting questions of: By what mechanism do Teshnans know a reborn individual's past lives? How is the connection "proven" (potentially with errors, as with our legal system) between the reborn and the chain of lives he is connected to? And how are "new" souls, which are to become peasants, identified?