Re: Teshnos in HW: Glorantha and HQ Voices

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_i1m8ocftz0VGmkJMDPIZq0CU300zpwg0DhFf4IpLu3gssuX05Fto-9jWNcA8vFOoJTU>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 09:44:32 +1300

Todd Gardiner wrote:
> Another thought:
>
> In Teshnos, a person pays for their own transgressions themselves. In
> Orlanthi culture, the clan is the culpable entity, thus the clan pays the
> weregild.
>
> This has wide-ranging ramifications on the social mechanism for keeping
> people's behavior in check. The structure of laws are going to be
> significantly different when it is individual vs individual, instead of clan
> vs clan.

Since other gloranthan societies (and our own) are based on individual responsibility, I'm not seeing the ramifications you talk about. The Teshnans simply have less attachment to the clan as a legal entity than the Orlanthi do.

That is not to say that the Teshnans have no clans - HQVoices speaks of people with common verses.

  > Also, the view on crime victims is different. For a clan, they have suffered
> an injury (one of their clan members is slain) and are compensated, for the
> Teshnos, there is no recompense for murder. Does this hold for theft and
> other crimes?

There is recompense for murder and other crimes, they are crimes against the person rather than the group.

--Peter Metcalfe