Re: Teshnos in HW: Glorantha and HQ Voices

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_p759sIhqIhMbn12jcNUV7W0s2D4aD4SnWVy4oY5tHH_gAh7ICmHZEQe9TOgaOazbter>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 12:52:13 +1300

Todd Gardiner wrote:
> It just seems to me that capitol punishment would be much more common in a
> society that is built around reincarnation. In fact, if they can see the
> crimes and societal advancements you have done in your past lives in your
> life-flame, I don't see why they wouldn't be able to see your
> accomplishments in your current life.

In my opinion, the flame poem is nothing like a blow-by-blow event of everything you did. It's more like the Events of My Life as written by Minaryth Blue in KoS p211 or the clan history questionaire as presented in S:KoH. Secondly there are really two types of information available:

  1. the quality of the life-flame itself. This tells others what sort of persons you are (ie is there an unresolved taint of murder on your life-flame?) but it is blind to historical details.
  2. the text of the flame-poem. This has the historical details but is little more than a poetic account of your lives written in Teshnan upon your soul. It is about as reliable as Orlanthi boasting for historical accuracy.

> And then your property (if you have any) is held by the "victim" of your
> crime.

Only if the Teshnan stole something from the victim and the punishment could be to award a debt to the victim for what Teshnan stole otherwise you are rewarding a victim for a wrong that never took place. Don't think in terms of monetary compensation for past wrongs but rather having the bad things you have done returned to you. That's all the Teshnans care about in terms of justice.

--Peter Metcalfe