Re: Teshnos in HW: Glorantha and HQ Voices

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_w5IJbrO4_gOr7HhCx_JjXU-_LsFz78AObs281x1r-vHejJa0k5RVPL9lF103K4pys1M>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 13:04:27 +1300

Todd Gardiner wrote:
> And another thought.

> Family units are "meaningless" in this society.

Nevertheless they have an influence.

> There is no telling what position in life your children are going to have
> when they reach adulthood, but they are going to suddenly acquire new
> relationships, debts and inheritances after their initiation.

No telling? That's a bit strong.

  1. A Teshnan can decide to be reincarnated in an unmarked relation of his. That preserves the family ties or rather the clan ties and requires the Teshnans to have some sort of rules for transmigration to avoid incest.
  2. If a child is found to be the reincarnation of the Teshnan equivalent of the Dalai Lama then he will still remember who his parents were and they will acquire some status from their relationship.

> Your one-time
> sister is never as closely bonded to you as your many-times wife.

Unless of course your many-times wife has decided to give you the silent treatment for seven incarnations and noted it in her flame poem.

> You don't
> have to worry about which of your children is best for inheriting your
> positions and status because YOU are the inheritor.

But who are you going to be reincarnated in?

> (I would have to say, this fact that people die at different ages and are
> reborn at different ages, presumably, makes this problematic.)

When people are reincarnated, they are incarnated into the body of an adult so the age difference isn't all that problematic.

--Peter Metcalfe