Re: Teshnos in HW: Glorantha and HQ Voices

From: L C <lightcastle_at_iN7e5cw-jpgyJgFs_phtfdVNsFWw0VD1BGptt3kxMjICCsECK-PptmCFHZaV7ZL_>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 23:01:29 -0500

Todd Gardiner wrote:

> Alternately, they can just kill the accused and
> judge them appropriately at their adult initiation.

While that would be nicely alien, I would suggest that killing someone for the wrong reasons affects YOUR reincarnation, so people wouldn't want to do it.

> And then your property (if you have any) is held by the "victim" of your
> crime. Should they be able to make it grow, that is their
> reward/recompensation for the crime. All else is turned over to the new
> adult. This is fair and just.

Well, in monetary cases, sure.

> In the case of murder, that person that persecutes the accused
> successfully,
> holds the property. That is societies way of finding justice for the
> murdered.

I think you wanted "prosecutes" there. :)

> Problems
>
> Households are historically one of two states:
> One person owns all the property, and to some degree the other people in
> that household are also their "property".

Is that the case in Teshnos? One owner?

> Household and the good of the house are joint property, owned either
> by the
> family, bloodline or clan.
> (There are a few states between these ranges, but these
> generalizations are
> pretty common).

Oh, you're asking which is common? I suppose it can vary from region to region.

> There is room for a third state, which is uncommon: Each person owns what
> they own; there is no joint property.
> Difficult for homes and businesses that people share. But functional
> outside
> that, and certainly useful in a society that tracks perpetual property
> ownership by a life-flame through many lives.

Sure.