Re: Teshnos in HW: Glorantha and HQ Voices

From: L C <lightcastle_at_-n70Rgts1T28zLkq8YL-gZeYWjceBVxMQA7w1sJ9hevVTR9ECy6h0BpgUoBdYwiK>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 23:12:56 -0500

Todd Gardiner wrote:

> And another thought.
>
> Family units are "meaningless" in this society.

Intriguing.

> There is no telling what position in life your children are going to have
> when they reach adulthood, but they are going to suddenly acquire new
> relationships, debts and inheritances after their initiation. Your
> one-time
> sister is never as closely bonded to you as your many-times wife. You
> don't
> have to worry about which of your children is best for inheriting your
> positions and status because YOU are the inheritor.

If there is accurate and fairly straightforward ability to identify this, then I am inclined to agree with you.

> In fact, there will be new spiritual relationships that are discovered at
> adulthood. Your flame-brother/sister is always born nearby (although you
> tend to be of different ages through most lives). Your
> flame-wife/husband is
> reunited with you as your eternal lover.
>
> Or, there are two webs of relationships. One spiritual and one
> temporal. You
> have a flame-wife and you also have a wife. You are raised by your father
> and mother, who you maintain a relationship with through this life;
> because
> someone has to care for them when they are old. But you also have an older
> flame-brother who aids in raising you and a younger flame-sister that you
> help raise. Uncles, aunts and cousins are no longer of importance (too
> many
> relationships to track), but your spiritual family fill those gaps in
> society.

OK, I am intrigued by this idea. It could be a really fun way to play things. The two-level relationships aspect could be a lot of fun to mess with. I do think people tend to reincarnate around each other and go through cycles together and such, but this adds different levels of interaction. I think this requires a pretty consistent and easy way to identify people, though.

> (I would have to say, this fact that people die at different ages and are
> reborn at different ages, presumably, makes this problematic.)

But also kind of interesting. Sometimes you are in different positions with the people. Sometimes you are their elder, sometimes their younger. Sometimes your eternal lover is merely a child while you are old. Learning from these interactions moves you toward enlightenment of course, as do all these cycles.

LC