Sartar: Kingdom of Heroes - "getting around" being knocked off the River

From: Hal Bowman <hal_bowman1_at_lXcwrc6k8lBiUKCN_p-M4taaYmTbpTTuM9SeiHCfbjkoN6Zyx0cP3AYdl7XI6xZn>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 09:56:55 -0800 (PST)

It's fairly likely that my heroes will be oath breakers and violaters of hospitality by the time they have gotten to the River of Swords. Their guide will tell them that Janak keep oath breakers and violaters of hospitality from crossing. Even if just one of their band is vulnerable, I suspect my players will try to find a way to avoid Janak. The book suggests that it is Nearly Impossible to overcome him, though they can try using approaches such as a legal argument or combat. My players will probably try to avoid him, instead.

What I think is most likely with my crew is that they will want to invoke Air or Movement magic to fly across the river and around Janak. I read over the scenaro and didn't see anything that says they couldn't. Did I miss that - I've missed other stuff? Is flying just not feasible, or maybe the weird nature of the place makes it ineffective for getting around him? I can populate the skies with nasties at Janak's command.

Has anyone else playtested this situation and had a good success?