Re: Why is Kargzant a Spirit?

From: Stephen Tempest <e-g_at_H_r7tAWoQubcbIiVXw9i9-GpQoMXN25M7rMaEwfxgSXjI9PMojM1awMkhL-684Li2pF8Jix1>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 16:41:30 +0000

"Nicholas P" <nick.the.nevermet_at_7yAla4PflQg2REuXGZexIoOhsdTDuSk4tXxtBLtOMTieoiDk6cbjPVhvjvKjxQnrsH2X-C5I94WpFZlZ4oes9c8.yahoo.invalid> writes:

>Are there any myths from Dara Happa & Pent (including the Grazers & the Char-Un) that account for why Kargzant is a spirit while Yelm & Co. are gods? I could also probably ask the same question about SurEnslib of the Darjiin. I also realize that Pentans and the Dara Happans likely have different understandings of this.

Personally, I've always thought that the 'Jenarong Rites' introduced by the Kargzanti nomads were misapplied worship of Yelm (or Antirius) by animists. This still gave the Hirenmador dynasty enough power of an unusual sort to achieve hegemony over the other horse nomads... but once the Dara Happans got their act together and rediscovered the proper theist Yelmic rites, they were able to rebel successfully.

But I don't know whether that impression fits Glorantha as currently depicted. :-)

Stephen