Re: So now that you have your copies of Sartar (RE: possible Sartarite animism)

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_s6ehUB8bbbEpu7ZRSgdJ4oaf4WJY0QmdsKGPq-7sxN-0ByNKgtBpdmxaTSFn4IIX3UU>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 16:47:15 +0000

Jeff wrote:

> > I notice several gods of the storm pantheon beyond Kolat & Urox
> (Chalana Arroy & Odayla in particular) are worshiped through ecstatic
> adoration. Does this mean that there animistic forms of magic
> associated with them.
>
> In most cases ecstatic adoration (worship without sacrifice of things)
> is going to be associated with animistic forms of magic. With regards
> to Odayla, that is true - there are Odaylan spirit societies. However,
> Chalana Arroy is just anomolous. She is so generous, so merciful, so
> giving - she does not take sacrifices, just prayers, songs, dances,
> and adoration.

That seems slightly odd, on the face of it. Is it that CA is accepting the adoration as if it were a sacrifice, and that it really isn't the same sort of thing as the animists are doing? That is, it looks superficially like animist ecstatic practices to an outside observer, but what is actually going on (especially from the POV of the participants) is something quite different?

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic

Not a Dead Communist: http://jrevell.blogspot.com/