Re: Why is Kargzant a Spirit?

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_AXA0Ef3ObX3gnBA_nUSET7PE5wQTWbvfNIhVq56H0CNGYYRKs4A-qqh9EPTGjVPahR3>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 07:47:53 +1300

Nicholas P wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Are there any myths from Dara Happa & Pent (including the Grazers &
> the Char-Un) that account for why Kargzant is a spirit while Yelm &
> Co. are gods? I could also probably ask the same question about
> SurEnslib of the Darjiin. I also realize that Pentans and the Dara
> Happans likely have different understandings of this.

There's nothing in the GRaY or even the Entekosiad for that matter. Although the Dara Happans met proto-Darjiin during the Golden Age (well after their basic natures had both been determined), there only seems to have been the recognition that SurEnslib was disgusting, depraved and foul (which as a teleological explanation serves Dara Happa just fine). The horse riders were first met during the Storm Age (when Kargzant was no longer around) and the Dara Happans would view them as worshipping Monsters. So the first time that both cultures realized that their sun god was truly different was at the Dawn and the Dara Happans explained Kargzant's different nature as a sign of his inherent unreliability.

--Peter Metcalfe