Re: Why is Kargzant a Spirit?

From: Nick the Nevermet <nick.the.nevermet_at_U1xe_IpXTAiBhQ7zjXETX3nU-vy745cURe3fgMnDg_5OFFvbeBPnZHiqiM>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 20:22:51 -0000

Ah. Um, you're welcome then, I guess? :)

> First, they do not need to explain it, because it just simply is.
> But they do: just like Orlanth, they were once beings of the Court,
> or could have been, but they changed themselves so much that they
> could not fit--they had to be rejected, or even forced themselves
> out through their surliness.

Gotcha. I knew Kargzant was one of the Rebel Gods who killed Murharzarm according to GRoY, but it never occurred to me that from a certain DH perspective Kargzant's spiritual nature was a rejection or rebellion of Yelm's legitimate authority. Thanks.

> You can be sure that many of the
> early myths about Shargash bashing these guys and those guys are
> about the war against essences and spirits.

Yeah, Shargash 'sent him away', which I assume meant that Kargzant was killed and sent to the underworld, since Kargzant is sent from the underworld by Yelm to collect the shredded remains of the world after Shargash destroys it.

> The enemies of the
> state lives in "strongholds" around and outside the Solar Empire.

Which for Kargzant was Nivorah for a little while before it was destroyed, right? Though I'm not quite clear how Nivorah went from being the city of Reladivus to the city of Kargzant, who was hardly a power of serenity.

> > I also realize that Pentans and the Dara Happans likely have
> > different understandings of this.
> >

> Yes. Not exactly diametrically opposed, but similarly opposite.

Cool, so from the Pentant POV, Yelm tried to make Kargzant into an obedient subject, and Kargzant wasn't having it. I wonder how they tell the tale about Kargzant vs. Shargash, and whether it would end up with Kargzant also going to the underworld. It certainly wouldn't have him being sent back to the surface by Yelm.

> > Personally, I've always thought that the 'Jenarong Rites'
> > introduced by the Kargzanti nomads were misapplied worship of
> > Yelm (or Antirius) by animists. This still gave the Hirenmador
> > dynasty enough power of an unusual sort to achieve hegemony over
> > the other horse nomads... but once the Dara Happans got their act
> > together and rediscovered the proper theist Yelmic rites, they
> > were able to rebel successfully.
> >

> Pretty good dude.
> That is part of it.

Noted.