Re: Why is Kargzant a Spirit?

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_GO95nkpN31Vi4F2YNsx8ZmQ5cm05U33ZmaPMdcX4pDokRECp0q5ZYQCw0-PYrDbGvma>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 20:06:16 +1300

stu_stansfield wrote:

> Consider further. In the High Council, Joseph takes the position of
> Sylph King/Father of Sylphs (p. 98). Sylphs are air elementals
> (worli), i.e. essences (THE ROOSTER, p. 202).

I consider the sylphs are worli and the like in Anaxial's Roster to have been unwise with hindsight or even a garbled table. It would have been better to write:

Elemental: Storm (sylph)
Sorcery Plane: Worli (Air elemental)
Divine Plane: Umbroli (Storm godling)
Spirit Plane: Kolati (Wind Spirit)

> In the PROSOPAEDIA, the
> Father of Sylphs is listed as a title of Umbrol (p. 18), 'the parent
> of the Umbroli' (p. 11), which are storm daimones (THE ROOSTER, pp.
> 196-198). Umbrol is another name for Kolat, the great wind spirit
> (PROSOPAEDIA, p. 11).

However Thunder Rebels p241 does speak of Umbrol as another name for Ohorlanth (although I see from the Book of Heortling Mythology that "King of the Umbroli" is the correct term and Umbrol is now somebody else and not Kolat).

Since at the time of writing the High Council, the Sylph King/Umbrol/Kolat were thought to be the same entity (Footprints p65-66), I would replace the Sylph King/Father of Slyph position in the Sartar High Council with Kolat.

Can't explain away the river tho.

--Peter Metcalfe