Re: Why is Kargzant a Spirit?

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_nuv8896tQ7_GezfJPX1MX0cnTjjMXn-tE2vq5RImqHMSZxQp96SXu25R2_fTgnpg>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 08:20:52 -0800 (PST)

Peter Metcalfe, responding to me:

> > And most worshippers of St. Taurox have probably never heard of the
> > Storm Bull of Prax.

> I doubt it.  Taurox is a Saint of the Esvulari who live quite close to
> Prax (and are regularly raided by them).  I'm not aware of his worship
> elsewhere.

Which is yet further proof that I should only ever talk about Prax. I had misremembered him as being worshipped by some of those bullish people up in north-eastern Genertela.

> > I think Praxians see it as not being proven.

> The Praxians are not as sophisticated in epistemology/onotology as you
> are.  Any statement about their gods for which they have no evidence,
> they will regard as false.

> > But, the Praxian Bullmen know that Urox is how the Orlanthi know
> > Storm Bull, and THEY swear that Urox is Orlanth's brother, and
> > Praxian Bullmen trust the Uroxi with their lives and beasts, secrets
> > and spirits.

> I spoke of more traditional praxians, not mentally deranged halfwits.
> Just because a Storm Bully thinks that Urox might be Storm Bull is not
> in itself sufficient cause for a Waha chieftain to think the same.  In
> fact, he might very well think the statement is false *because* a Storm
> Bull had said it.

Fair enough. I was thinking of Praxian Bullmen, not Praxians in general. Praxians in general could ask whether the Bullmen had ever visited the stories that the Uroxi describe. When the Bullmen say "no," the other Praxians hear "no, those Outlanders are liars, just like all Outlanders."

I don't really think the distinction between not proven and false requires any sophistication. The Bullmen don't know those stories of their own experience, but do trust the Uroxi who tell them about their experience with those stories. Other Praxians have no reason to trust the Outlander Uroxi, so wouldn't go along with the insane, halfwitted notion of trusting an Outlander. As you point out, the very fact that Bullmen trust the Uroxi words about their own great spirit is just further proof that they are insane or stupid.

Chris Lemens