Re: Why is Kargzant a Spirit?

From: Nick the Nevermet <nick.the.nevermet_at_Vz0_cyt_ooDRbfbFLBQrZtL8eJAhJLNaWnD5motM0g1v2fmdB53hkPkGtD>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 01:17:09 -0000

Generally speaking, most of my comments and questions were worded from a DH POV simply because that's the stance found in GRoY. I was a bit sloppier with my wording than I could have been.

> My opinion is that for a long time, Dara Happa was ruled by savage
> Rinliddi bird-riding barbarians which is remembered in mythology as
> the reign of Emperor Kestinoros. Eventually the bird barbarians
> were cast down by the hero Erskanlavus who performed Murharzarm's
> Muster to summon an army to get them out. This is remembered in
> the Entekosiad as a myth of King Gartemirus.
>
> Now if you have a look at Murharzarm's muster, you'll see that the
> help from the NE is Rinliddi, the very people that Erskanlavus
> wants to get rid of! So what he did was to substitute Pentan horse-
> riders for the Rinliddi bird-riders (which is why Gartemirus is
> suprised to see a horse which he's never seen before) since they
> came from the NE and also hated the bird-riders.
>
> Once the Bird-riders have been ousted, the Dara Happans (under
> Emperor Manarlavus) settles their new horse-rider friends in
> ancient Nivorah (now Jillaro) and that is why at the dawn, there
> are Pentans in Sylila who claim descent from the hero Hyaloring.
> Some of them migrated even further southwards and became friends
> with the Berennethtelli.

This is gold, and I thank you for it.

> From the Pentan PoV, there is no Yelm. They didn't meet the Dara
> Happans until well into the Storm Age when the sun was missing in
> action (fighting monsters in the Underworld). When the sun
> returned, they knew him as Kargzant and their Dara Happan subjects
> (for the most part agreed). It was only much later when they
> started making noises about Antirius and Yelm that the troubles
> started.

I didn't know that at all. I assumed that while Kargzant was seen as the legitimate Sun by the Pentans, Yelm was around in some fashion in their mythology. I suppose I made this assumption based on how much the DH have incorporated Kargzant into their mythology, and how much Yelm seems to be a generally big deal (he has 3 runes, yes?)

> Kargzant defeated Shargash and ended the Gray Age. Even Plentonius
> admits this in his book (GRAY p38).

In DH opinion, is this at the behest of Yelm? I'd imagine both Pentans and Alkothi would deny that for opposite reasons ("Kargzant takes orders from nobody" / "Yelm likes Shargash more"), but I'm less sure about other perspectives.