Re: the result of an heroquest

From: Gavain Sweetman <gavain.sweetman_at_yOsLsPt8Rj6zzSOq3ng7o1lm-YnbdwvYIU68QEv_S06vkP_951Bk-dR-rEFB>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 14:43:20 +0000 (GMT)

> Trezaae <lokamayadon_at_s185glE0ECOwObfQMCQ6EYkRtdFWsCwy64-88NVa3F31wohhE-OgXspoJUZzU8tD6qQPGTzG4I-kxYf8YQ.yahoo.invalid>

> hello !

Hi, and welcome!

> I have read the rules about heroquest in the orlanthi book and I have a question
> When more than one community support a quester and when the quest is a success, does all the communities gain the reward ?

That depends on what the communities are supporting. Say the heroes are doing the Orlanth slays Aroka quest. The the community may support the heroes for the main quest to assist them in the final battle. In which case you can assume that the whole clan will benefit from the release of Heler, either a drought will be stopped or new powers to do with water will be gained by the wyter.

As for other groups the may be supporting different things:

A bloodline may be supporting a single hero because he wants to have power over the Darkwind (one of the weapons gathered by orlanth to fight Aroka [King of satar p69-70]). The hero has chosen this as his heroquest challenge, if successful he will get a Darkwind ability, but the community will get nothing. Apart from the implied obligation that he uses the Darkwind to defend his bloodline.

Now it is also entirely possible that the whole heroquest fails, in which case the drought gets worse, but the hero gets the darkwind.

> If yes, I suppose that this kind of "multi support" is very used as it diminish the risk of a quest by giving more support to the quester ?

So the situation is more complex, different communities can be expecting different outcomes from the heroquest. The important thing is that everything should be planned beforehand. Heroquest chalanges and their aims, the aims of the heroquest itself also need to be sorted out beforehand.

Gavain