Re: What is smoke?

From: stu_stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_vIMTywa1N1p2vilM1mZWopTPfBIj8x-mfKXtmtdZufhDYloUIIMEx61Ze8bcK>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 16:41:47 -0000

Chris:
> It also strikes me that smoke looks an awful lot like a cloud, which
> is a storm thing, and storm things are also notionally descended from
> a sky - earth combination. Maybe smoke is the storm descended from
> the lowfires? (In GL terminology, of course.)

I've not considered this in more general terms, but I remember thinking on the Storm/Air-related powers assumed by several Fire/Heat entities, and how it had never really been touched upon.

Many phenomena associated with explosive volcanism, for example, seem to be intriguing combinations of Fire (Within Earth) and Storm powers; or 'Fire (Within Earth) Within Air'. Pyroclastic flows and surges, eruption plumes, and the like. Indeed, as another parallel with cloud, which can bring Water, volcanic clouds can bring their own fall of ash and pumice, which can be destructive and/or life-giving.

Storm and Fire/Heat entities can be temperamental buggers, and fight frequently. (To awesome effect, if you've ever witnessed the storms that can grow around volcanic peaks.) As a specific example, I've assumed that Veskarthan once defeated a Storm entity and stole its breath, which he keeps in his gullet. (Most of his myths tend to be nonindigenous, deprecating and used as colour to accentuate other mythologies; I've no problem doing a little lobbying on his behalf.)

Some smoke, gas and vapour in Caladraland is distinctly (ob)noxious. Much of it arises from the slumbering lava daimones that cover the land, having slithered and crawled down from their mountains to battle invaders. Eating lots of Storm worshippers tends to give you wind.

Stew.