Moonshine, booze, powzie and other potent stuff in Glorantha

From: hcarteau_at_164VzMNUZl3BswXo3M2n-TL3xRLc9b1AIlhJPMbXKissw2WuHDNi2O9yiXR4FhRxiUH
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 18:35:27 +0100

Selon Jeff <richaje_at_-Qf0xPVngegqIPKc8ALIfOXruyWYWTZpQe4X7DylnMwM6XuXpJ3HmVa7CwL4uC03pqXhKQoI6Hya2CA.yahoo.invalid>:

> > I don't think of my Sartarites as having stills. Lunar gin is a huge
> disruption to sartarites--equivalent to whiskey for native americans.
>
> The big difference being that the Sartarites already have access to wine
> (including pretty potent stuff from Clearwine) and beer. The technique of
> distilling barley is probably known in a few places in Sartar as well.

/// We've had a very pleasant article in a french fanzine (Les Erudits de l'Ambigu) a while back about alcohol in the different Gloranthan cultures. Distilled grain was presented as an esrolian speciality, and esrolian whiskey is prized everywhere. There was Dom Perignon-esque champagne from Nolos, etc. etc. It was written by a Grey Sage ; the footnotes said his conference had been a huge success because he had brought many flasks to sample !

Now we also know about jonatelan Vodka and the pitifully weak fermented mare milk (koumiss) from the pentan and praxians. Actually I have no idea whether koumiss is weak or strong stuff, don't feel like trying it.