Re: The meaning of "hillbilly"

From: Todd Gardiner <todd.gardiner_at_fGsF8cI4PvCk5q5UFS3T1MLELtnmqii32JzC0kb1qQa9m7ZOLo_yXvOcxYb4oc>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 09:42:18 -0800

There are different opinions nowadays on the reasons that the 18th amendment (prohibition) was ratified. May of the cited reasons today are colored by people's political points of view.

But, in short, anti-drinking organizations (or "temperance" groups) wanted to end the social problems of drinking that they observed. The problems associated with saloons included prostitution, gambling and public drunkenness. All of these were criminal, which the groups wanted to end, but additionally, they were immoral, thus it was easy to get the backing of religion.

Now considered a "failed experiment" (to paraphrase one quote), the 19th amendment ended prohibition because crime increased when alcohol went underground, instead of decreasing.