Re: Sneaking into a rokari mass / reading : your opinions

From: Todd Gardiner <todd.gardiner_at_JKSrxQAIra89coSQE5c3XHISmr1juGPHIeIYUBiLG1UM1OPHOJyuTgCE80-Rgs>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 14:43:41 -0800

With the readings and the chanting, Malkioni services remind me more of a Torah service at a synagogue than a church service.

Rabbi(s) offer an introduction to today's reading

The book is taken out of storage with great ceremony. Touching it with a prayer book or shawl as it is carried through the congregation is a way of asking for a blessing from God's Word.

Members of the community are called up (often with advance notice) and asked to read a portion of today's reading to the congregation. The vocalization of the Torah is done in a sing-song voice, called Chanting.

Rabbi offers a sermon.

More reading.

Book is put away with great ceremony. Those who missed their chance may again touch the bindings of the Torah for a blessing.

Community messages are announced by the Rabbi(s). Then people go to lunch.

The focus on the Torah if very similar to the focus on the Abiding Book, which is read in ceremonial form as part of the service. To me this is different than a Christian church service; which is as it should be, since this isn't Earth and these aren't Christians (nor are they Jewish).