Re: Animism\t rituals

From: L C <lightcastle_at_31ZnWZbAKw2HJPa9-WX9pjMqtm2-RTAq7zH_GYQiB1Xrh72IZh5HZ77qUgf7Pe5k>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 09:29:01 -0500

julianlord wrote:

> Heh -- clearly there will be some overall HeroQuest rules commonality
> in *every* magic system :-)

That's my opinion, yes. I realize not everyone agrees. I happen to think it a strength of the system that there aren't those sorts of mechanical distinctions.

I think I gave the example of the armory before. I'll give another. You discover a hoard of magic loot in the Rubble. Does that give you a lingering benefit to your wealth? A new ability defined as a magic item? Or maybe a follower defined as such? A new ability in some other way? A plot augment?

The answer, of course, is "whichever of those works with the narrative in question".

It's like the "I hurl a lightning bolt at him" question. That can be an augment, an assist, a healing attempt, or the main exchange of a contest. It all depends on what's going on in the game at that moment.

LC