Re: Eastern extent of EWF - where, when

From: Keith Nellist <keithnellist_at_2uq2meh3-mExHA51t8pvKGWkeQg-m4qBylNYEbib_-Dks16n9ZHpeDO5I6tyEFT>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 23:42:58 +1100

Here is a document I tranlated from Auld Wyrmish several years ago. Clearly a speech of some sort:

Citizens of the Harmonic Union,

The Council of Pavis and its head, Lord Pavis, have authorized me to make the following statement:

Today, an hour before dawn, without any claims having been presented to the Harmony Council, without a declaration of war, Wyrmish troops attacked our country, attacked our Valley at many points and from their wyrms our villages; Scrabble Stead, Green Cane Greek, Scritha, and some others, killing and wounding over two hundred persons.

There were also enemy wild storm raids and nomadic raiding from Vultures Country and the Wastes.

This unheard of attack upon our country is perfidy unparalleled in the history of civilized nations. The attack on our country was perpetrated despite the fact that a treaty of non-aggression had been signed between the City and the Wyrm's Council and that the City Government most faithfully abided by all provisions of this treaty.

The attack upon our country was perpetrated despite the fact that during the entire period of operation of this treaty, the Wyrmish Government could not find grounds for a single complaint against the Harmony Council as regards observance of this treaty.

Entire responsibility for this predatory attack upon the Harmonic Union falls fully and completely upon the Wyrmish Third Council rulers.

After the attack had already been perpetrated, Master Ormstang, the Wyrmish Ambassador in the Real City, on behalf of his government made the statement to me as Steward to the effect that the Wyrmish Government had decided to launch war against the Valley in connection with the concentration of Horse Army units near the eastern Wyrmish frontier.

In reply to this I stated on behalf of the Harmonic Government that, until the very last moment, the Wyrmish Government had not presented any claims to the Harmonic Government, that Wyrmish troops attacked the Valley despite the peaceable position of the Harmony Council, and that for this reason Wyrm is the aggressor.

On instruction of the government of the Harmonic Union I also stated that at no point had our troops or our magicians committed a violation of the frontier and therefore the statement made this morning by the Rune Master of Adari to the effect that Zebra Cavalry allegedly had shot arrows on Third Council trade caravans is a sheer lie and provocation.

Likewise a lie and provocation is the whole declaration made today by Scaleface, who is trying belatedly to concoct accusations charging the Harmonic Union with failure to observe the Harmonic-Wyrmish pact.

Now that the attack on the Harmonic Union has already been committed, the Harmonic Government has ordered our troops to repulse the predatory assault and to drive Wyrmish troops from the territory of our valley.

This war has been forced upon us, not by the Wyrmish people, not by Wyrmish workers, peasants and intellectuals, whose sufferings we well understand, but by the clique of bloodthirsty Draconic rulers of the Wyrm's Council who have enslaved Heortlings, Aramites, Sairdites, Pelorians, and other peoples.

The government of the Harmonic Union expresses its unshakable confidence that our valiant soldiers and warriors and brave falcons of the New Horse Cavalry will acquit themselves with honour in performing their duty to Kargzant and to the people of the Valley, and will inflict a crushing blow upon the aggressor.

This is not the first time that our people have had to deal with an attack of an arrogant foe. At the time of Jaldaha's invasion our people's reply was war for the Imperial Sun, and Jaldaha suffered defeat and met his doom.

It will be the same with Scaleface, who in his arrogance has proclaimed a new crusade against our country. The Horse Army and our whole people will again wage victorious war, for our city, for honour, for harmony.

The government of the Harmonic Union expresses the firm conviction that the whole population of our country, all workers, peasants and intellectuals, men and women, will conscientiously perform their duties and do their work. Our entire people must now stand solid and united as never before.

Each one of us must demand of himself and of others discipline, organization and self-denial worthy of real Harmony, in order to provide for all the needs of the Horse Army to insure victory over the enemy.

The government calls upon you, citizens of the Harmonic Union, to rally still more closely around our glorious Masters of Stone, around our Harmonic Government, around our great leader and architect-mason, Pavis. Ours is a righteous cause. The enemy shall be defeated. Victory will be ours.