Re: Animism\t rituals

From: Tim <tim_at_hKfieRJwbzWdHs2SF3_NHx1vpOg4vr0jrbJDuAPEtaWdWYX1927vyWBEJgyEhTUYin8VRuIF>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 15:31:30 -0000

> This would suggest (to me anyway) that theist rituals are focused on
> the (mythic) past, whereas animist ones would instead be focused on
> the present.

and so sorcerous ones are presumably focused on the future? This might actually be another way of distinguishing between them, at least as a broadly correct prinicple if not absolutely true on every single case.

In the example we've been looking at, of dealing with disease spirits, this would work something like:-

Theist. - Find a myth that explains how our gods or heroes dealt with disease in the past, and re-enact that as a ritual to grant us the same power over the disease

Animist. - Find out what spirits are responsible for the disease and perform a ritual to either appease them or drive them out.

Sorceror - Investigate the nature of the disease so we can predict its spread, and perform rituals to disrupt or control this..

Or to deal with a drought
An Orlanthi might perform the Orlanth vs Aroka Heroquest to bring rain as Orlanth did in the God Time. A Praxian might seek out the water spirits that should be found at Oasis and seasonal streams and bargain with them (or their oppressors) to make an appearance A Sorceror might summon up winds to bring rain clouds from afar to his lands. (I'm thinking here of descriptions as to how Sorcerors seek to understand and manipulate the world, so he can't necessarily just conjur water into existance, but can influence the world to bring it to him from elsewhere).