Using affinities to power magical effects v. feats

From: Hal Bowman <hal_bowman1_at_s9RtsxNzjreg9mzXsdpHfcQxyh4G-tTF-0FzEPO5_ZVvNqin1km2ZtGloGDa6VZK>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 22:03:18 -0800 (PST)

I've read over the descriptions a few times and it would be helpful to have examples of the difference in effect between using affinities to power magical effects (something one can do as an initiate / 1W, right?) and feats (devotees).

An example Lhankor Mhy feat involved lying with a leather sheet over one's head and thinking until you gained the knowledge one sought. OK, what would be a lesser (initiate) class magical ability for knowledge?

Or storm - can I shoot lightning with initiate affinities? How about fly?

Maybe I am missing this in the text, but I am finding it tough to infer the level of supernatural abilities different levels of rune affinities suggest. Same for spells and charms.