Re: Using affinities to power magical effects v. feats

From: hcarteau_at_GsptY64iJgtdgVL8SkZ3E2rWFJP2U8y4NTQs3fB6kA56h5o2HZ8_Ynlds6uJbyaIF4o
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 12:24:22 +0100

> Maybe I am missing this in the text, but I am finding it tough to infer the
> level of supernatural abilities different levels of rune affinities suggest.
> Same for spells and charms.

Better wait for Jeff's answer.

But IMO, raw affinities are only used as augments. Once you're deep enough in your God's mysteries (score of 1M), you can begin using your affinity in a refined way, focussing it as active ablities, such as "Destroy Undead" using a Humakti's Death Rune. The advantage is you don't need to be a Devotee anymore to actively use your Deitie's Magics.

FEATS are special magics only available only to Devotees, Greater Secrets if you will, such as the "Kill Everyone" feat of Humakt. I think Feats start at the corresponding Rune's rating (it's so powerful it cannot start at 13 !); then you augment them independently.

WIZARDRY is different. Any spell, even the lowliest, oral-only spells cast by peasants, has a specific effect is used actively.

ANIMISM I haven't worked on much yet, but I'd say Charms are augments only and specific spirits can be used actively.